Positive, Proactive and Pro-People
I am a native of Menlo and am a fluent Irish speaker. Married to Gerardine Nestor from Bushy Park and have 3 children. I work with Big O Taxis. I am a member of Galway City Council since March 2011. Served as Deputy Mayor from March to June 2011 and from June 2012 to June 2013.
- Member of the Audit committee responsible for oversight of Galway City Councils Budget.
- Member of the Transportation and Infrastructure Strategic Policy Committee.
- Member of the Economic Development and Planning strategic Policy Committee.
- Chairman of Rapid, Revitalizing Areas through Planning Investment and Development.
- Since becoming a Councillor I have worked to ensure that the Community Centre in Balinfoile, which residents have been waiting for 30 years, will finally become a reality. Contracts to be signed in early 2014.
- Successfully opposed the removal of the Menlo Park Roundabout on safety grounds.
- A new state of the art 42 bed Nursing Home in Castlegar. Construction start date March 2014.
- Worked with local residents to develop safe walking routes, reopened Mass path in Castlegar and bog road in Carrabrowne.
- Worked to ensure that the heritage cottage at Ballindooly is preserved and protected.
- Proposed the reduction of daily parking charges which saw Dyke Rd and Cathedral car parks reduced from €5 to €4 and on street parking reduced from €2.60 to €2 per hour.
- I am leading the opposition to the proposed bus corridor through the middle of Merlin Woods.
- Made representations to the National Transport Authority and Bus Éireann for a better bus service on the Headford Road and now have a service fit for purpose.
- Proposed and secured the new taxi rank on Bridge Street.
- Secured funding to begin restoring Menlo Castle in this year’s budget.
- Secured a Community Employment Scheme in association with Galway Civic Trust for Menlo which will undertake much needed local projects such as restoring the castle, gate lodge and monument.
PROJECTS THAT I AM WORKING ON AND WANT TO SEE ADVANCED
- A seven day indoor market for Galway similar to the Milk Market in Limerick and the English Market in Cork.
- Ensuring that there is a transport hub in the new proposal for Galway Harbour. Major issue with busloads of tourists bypassing Galway City because there are no parking spaces for buses in the City Centre.
- Developing our waterways and water based activity on Lough Corrib/river, the canals and Galway Bay for leisure and tourist activity.
- Develop Tonabrocky Quarry as a tourist attraction, abseiling and rock climbing as it adjoins the Wild Atlantic Way which Bord Fáilte are marketing abroad. I believe as a country we have a flair for tourism and can create sustainable jobs.